Friday, August 31, 2007

31st of August Housing Joints and Bridle Joints


Today we continued on with cutting and fitting different types of joints from sheet plans. After the halving joints yesterday, i commenced housing joints. I, as well as a couple of others, found it difficult to get the cuts and joins right today, which was very frustrating. I had to repeat the second housing joint three times until i had gotten it done well enough, and even then it wasn't satisfying.

After struggling through the housing joints and in the end doing only a half reasonable job, i decided to move onto the bridle joints, which appeared to be much more difficult. The first end angled bridle joint definitely made me think on how to set it out and where to cut, which made me work alot slower. I think moving onto a new project and taking my time helped me to achieve a much better job, which i felt much more satisfied. I got more tips from Paul once i had cooled down, and found these really helpful especially using the mortise guage where the two cutting lines down the center of wood was required.

I found today challenging but nonetheless educational.

No comments: